‘This is the season for yummy backyard barbecues and sun-soaked family meals. If you are a vegetarian, you may sometimes feel like the odd one out. But the grill isn’t just for burgers and sirloins! The best part of summer, aside from the sunshine, are the amazing dishes we make straight from the garden. Here are some amazing vegetarian BBQ dishes.
Recipe: Easy Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches. Shredded Jackfruit seasoned with bbq seasoning and bbq sauce, baked and served with slaw.
- 2 20 oz cans (2 cans) young green jackfruit (packed in brine or water not syrup). Each can is 20 oz. you need 2 cans. So a total of 40 oz.
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt or more, depending on taste
- 2 to 3 tbsp (2 to 3 tbsp) bbq seasoning , add 1 tablespoon sugar if the seasoning is just spices. Use 3 tablespoons if the seasoning already contains sugar. See notes for recipe
- 3/4 cup (214.5 g) bbq sauce , plus more for dressing
- 3 cups (210 g) slaw mix (I use shredded cabbage, carrot, brussel sprouts, baby kale mix)
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp (0.5 tbsp) maple syrup or sugar to taste dashes of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Drain the jackfruit. Place in a thick kitchen towel, fold and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. This will shred some of the jackfruit. Slice the rest using a knife or separate using hands until somewhat shredded. Remove any hard seeds if any (There are rarely hard seeds in the canned version. The tender seedbox and stem area are all edible).
- Add the jackfruit to a large bowl with sliced onion, garlic and ginger. Add bbq seasoning and sugar mixture, and salt and mix well.
- Add 1/2 to 2/3 cup bbq sauce and mix. Add 2 tbsp veggie broth if the bbq sauce is too thick and mix in (I use 2 tbsp of broth to clean out the mixing bowl after transferring to the baking dish). Spread the mixture in a large baking dish (parchment lined).
- Bake at 400 deg F For 30 minutes. Shred some of the larger pieces by pressing with a spatula. Taste and adjust salt, sweet, heat at this point. Add some salt, sugar/maple syrup and cayenne for heat if needed and mix in and move the jackfruit around.
- Spread well again and continue to bake for another 15 to 25 mins (depends on moisture content, pan/oven and preferred texture.) I like some edges caramelized and crispy)
- Prepare your buns tacos and slaw. Mix everything under slaw. Taste and adjust flavor. Chill for 15 mins and use.
- Mix in 2 to 4 tbsp bbq sauce into the baked jackfruit and assemble the sandwiches with generous layers of jackfruit, more bbq sauce, slaw. You can also fill this in wraps or tacos.
Recipe by - veganricha.com